St. Luke's in the 1933 Earthquake at 7th and Atlantic
St. Luke’s church was launched in 1897, just as the city of Long Beach was incorporated for a population around 2000 people. The original church on 5th Street and Locust Ave was replaced by the present one in 1917, and the damage done by the earthquake of 1933 brought a rebuilding of much of the structure. The three educational buildings went up in 1963.
Our programs include: – Social Service activities since at least 1919 – Choir of men & boys 1930-83, men & women since then – Support for Fair Housing Act 1964 – Gay Pride Parade participation 1990 – Spanish service 2005 – Shower, lunch & open church Saturdays – Healing Prayer and Women’s Spirituality – Taizé chant services